Sunday, June 27, 2010

Musee D'orsay Expressionism exhibit at the De Young

Amazing
I am in general, not a lover of art history, although, having said that, I am or have changed.  One of my favorite museums of all time is the D'Orsay in Paris.  It's not too big, the architecture of the building is incredible and the interior layout is awesome too.  Also, I remember it for the people I visited it with.  Tai and Pegi, Kirsty and me went a bunch of years ago, on a work-based tour.  We arrived in Paris Friday, and didn't have work until Tuesday.  Our wives would join us the next day.  Tai had been to Paris, I don't know how many times, and had an idea of what he wanted to do.  I envisioned running to see as many sites as we could, a bit in line with the pace of our previous work days.

The Tuileries Palace surrounds the Louvee museum.  It's a famous place, and Tai suggested we go there to hang out.  Two things happened that day, making a huge impression on me.  I was thinking we were in for a huge day of sightseeing.  We were ready for some rest, but hey, when in Paris...

The Paris surprise
Simply, we hung out.  Had beers, croque monsieur sandwiches and just read and jotted notes and pictures in my journal.  Then we did another amazing thing.  We spent the rest of the afternoon hunting down a restaurant Tai and Pegi went to a long time prior.  I wonder if I could ever find it now.  We just walked around, turning and heading down roads by feel.  Hoping Tai would see things he remembered.  We did find it.  It's a rustic place, very small inside.  Actually bi-level inside, seating maybe 8 or 10 or so tables.  Heavy beams exposed in the ceiling, bright pastel and rustic inside.  Anyways, we made a reservation for the 4 of us for that night.  What a day.  Incredibly memorable.  Essentially, we didn't do anything, but enjoy.  No stress.  No pressure.  No rushing.  Just pure relaxation.  Okay, so the tie-in.  We did the D'Orsay the next day, in the same fashion... which made it 100% enjoyable, and memorable.

About 10 years later, Kirsty and I went again, taking our kids this time.  Still, what a treat.  So special.  Today, I knew we were doing a museum.  One of those engagements where Kirsty organized it, I knew I was going, but really didn't know exactly what I was signing up for.

De Young museum, San Francisco
The De Young is like the D'Orsay to me.  Incredibly beautiful museum, not too big, so well done.  And now they are exhibiting the Birth of Impressionism, a collection from the  D'Orsay.  A rare treat, available largely because the D'Orsay is being remodeled.  The exhibit tied together another piece of French history, both the civil war as well as the revolution going on in the art arena.  Previously, the most cherished art and artists exhibited in the 'Salon'    The impressionists started their own show in around 1872ish.  I may have those dates not exact, but regardless, the impressionists brought a whole new dimension to the art world.  I love these guys!!
One of my favorites is the 3 men resurfacing a wood floor by Cauiboulle (okay, looking up the spelling)   Caillebotte Another I really enjoyed by Claude Monet called Magpie - a snowy country farm, focused on a farm, with a tiny magpie - on a fence, that draws your attention.  Awesome colors, beautiful  Anyways, totally loved it.  The exhibit goes on until September, and then they have something else, post impressionism I think...or something like that.




I am looking for a good slideshow for my blog.  Not sure I like this one the best...  Oh Ellie, how did you sneak in there, and how did that tiramisu cupcake sneak in there?

No comments:

Post a Comment