Monday, February 1, 2010

Roasted Mushroom Soup


I set out to make this yesterday, and had a couple mishaps along the way.  In the end, it turned out to be really tasty, albeit, a day later.  I borrowed from a couple recipes mostly, and then I read a couple more that I probably assimilated and went into the plan.

The two main ones were Closet Cooking Blog and Epicurious.  Okay, now that I look at it, from the Epicurious Mushroom Soup recipe, the only thing I got was to use sherry, which I didn't even use, I ended up using port.  Well, the other thing was, no dairy, which I was really trying to avoid....not for religious or any reason, other than I didn't want it.  Closet Cooking has it down.  Okay, so his recipe has a cup of cream, but pretty much everything else I liked, and I more or less, I used his instructions.

8 oz of button mushrooms
8 oz of crimini mushrooms
(you can use oyster, and others too.  this is what I got, and where I started.  I can imagine going more exotic, for example, I ended up using some dried mushroom broth.)
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 red medium to small onions, chopped
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
1/4 c Port
truffle oil (optional - i will try it next time)
4 c vegetable stock (or 1/2 and 1/2 with mushroom stock)
toasted cheese bread
    (slice baguette, drizzle with olive oil, add salt/pepper and grated hard cheese, bake 400 5-6 mins till brown)

So, Closet says, broil/bake the mushrooms.  It brings out the flavor.  Holy smoke, it does, big time.
This is where I messed up yesterday.  He says 30-40 mins at 400 deg F.  Today I did 400, but only about 12 minutes.  I think I should have went another 5 minutes though.  So, let's get started.

1- Clean (not with water, just brush) the mushrooms and slice.
2- Oil the slices, in a bowl, add thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
3- Spread out on abcookie sheet and bake 400 deg F for 15-20 minutes.
4- Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil.  Add the thyme and sage in the last minute
5- Add roasted mushrooms to it, add vegetable stock, simmer for 10-20 minutes.
6- I added about a cup or so of very cold water, before putting half the mix in the blender
7- Blend, and serve with a few sprigs of thyme, which really tasted so good on top.
8- serve with toasted cheese bread
9- I garnished with thyme sprigs, which actually tasted really good on top.  I bet some radish sprouts would be good too...just thinking...anyways, Moira and Kirsty really loved it, and I did too.  I think next time, I could make this in about 45 minutes.  And, you know what?  Vegetarian is so frigging easy to clean up, and by the way, keeps so much better too.  Next time, double this bad boy.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good..! I really want to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete