Sunday, February 27, 2011

Meter Mania


43,900 meters. One more day. Hmmm. Should I go for 50,000?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

So, I swam 3,200 meters at 6am today, just to get things going. That leaves, yep, 2,900 meters to achieve the mystical 50,000 meters.  It's an arbitrary goal I wouldn't have even considered had I not totaled up my meters on Sunday for the month and saw I was close to, well, 50,000.  

It's Meter Mania at PCA this month
If you are trying to find my numbers in the photo, it's kind of hard because I am showing the names associated with the second column, and cut off my name on the far left.  Look for Josh L on the right, that's my row.  The top number I show is how many meters I did for that day, and under that, I put my total in for the month.  You can see I did 4,000 meters on Sunday, with my good buddy Rich E.  He's on pace to complete 200,000 meters as of today.  That is A LOT of meters.  Maybe the most of anyone at the club.  Something like 150 people signed up for Meter Mania.  I would guess I may be in the top 10.  I am not sure.   The other thing you might notice about my row above is, there's a bunch of blank days.  Those are days I didn't swim, first because I was in Barcelona for a week, and then in Tahoe for 5-6 days.  I think I missed 14 days out of a short month. 

For more background and previous years on Meter Mania at PCA, click here.

The Challenge
So, my challenge to myself and you.  I will swim again today, 100 meters for every follower I have.  Those who are already following, I have you covered.  The problem is, that only gets me to 2,700.  I need two (2) more followers to accomplish my goal.  See where you come in?  Over on the right, click on follow.  It's real easy.  If it seems confusing, just guess, you'll be right.  No, you won't get extra emails or anything.  You are just part of the cause, and I thank you!

Jib Jab
I made 50,000 meters.  I also had two firsts yesterday.  First time for swimming twice in one day, the 6am workout and the 6:45pm workout. That's kind of pushing it, because I have done consecutive swims on the Saturday workouts, and have on several occasions done all 3 Saturday workouts, but the nuance is, I don't have to get out of the pool between workouts on Saturday.

The other first is an interesting one.  
First time to do the evening workout.  I would say I am not a night person, and say it without too much conviction, but the data is, well, fascinating (to me).  I have been swimming masters for about 15 years, mostly at PCC.  PCC has about 20 different workouts a week.  I have done all of them many many times.  Except the evening ones.  Lots of times, I've said to myself, okay, well, I missed my regular but will go to the evening one, and it just never happens.  I've even arrived at the gym, looked at the evening practice, but didn't get in.  Kind of weird when I think about it.  None-the-less, I broke the ice yesterday, and did the evening workout.  Actually, the drama continues.  I only needed another 750 meters when I started with them, so I only finished the first set, 400 meters more than I needed, but I got out after that.  :-)  Another first still available.  The whole evening workout.  I love a challenge.

4 comments:

  1. Quite a feat.

    Although I don't swim, evening workouts never seem to make the agenda for me either ... why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathryn,

    I am a morning person, hence the challenge with evening workouts. :-) The other challenge is, making a big to-do list and the work-out always seems to move to the end...

    ReplyDelete