Thursday, March 18, 2010

Roasted Vegetable Irish Lamb Stew

First, credit to the Food Network Kitchen, for your recipe.  I leveraged it heavily below.  I had an idea of what I wanted to do, like using leeks and turnips, and this recipe added a bonus twist, which looked really good.  Roasting the vegetables. 

So, here we go.  I think I had enough for about 12 or maybe a couple more people.  I served 8 and I would say I had about a third left when we were finished....mmmm leftovers...

4 Tbsp Olive oil (I always use generously, so not sure how much I used)
1 boneless leg of lamb (5.5#-ish)  I diced it up myself, about 1 inch cubes
salt, pepper to taste
2 leeks chopped somewhat fine.  Just the white part.
1 onion, chopped
1/2 C flour
1 stick (1/4 #) butter
1 can Guinness (mine was a pint)
4 C beef stock
2 C of tomatoes - I used canned.  Just use a whole small can
1 pound parsnips, peeled and diced, about 1 inch cubes
1 pound carrots, peeled and diced, as above
3 pounds red and yukon potatoes, peeled and diced as above
7 cloves garlic, minced
6 sprigs rosemary, plus 2 Tbsp chopped ( I forgot the chopped!  Add it.)
2 C peas (I skipped this.  I might try this next time, and would use frozen, myself)
1 bunch parsley (chopped and use whole for garnish)

Preheat Oven 400 degrees.
Heat 2 Tbsp Olive oil in large pot.  Add lamb cubes and brown.  Remove browned lamb and set aside.  Add a touch more oil onion and leeks. Saute until soft.  Add the butter and flour to make roux.  Cook low to brown, about 15 minutes (I made the roux in another pan so I could use it in two recipes, one without leeks).  Add Guinness, stock, tomatoes and browned lamb.  Simmer for 90 minutes.

Roasted Vegetables
In a baking dish or sheet ( I used 2  9x13 inch dishes to spread the veggies out), mix together carrots, parsnips, potatoes, garlic, rosemary sprigs.  Salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat vegetables.  Roast for 45 minutes, or until starting to brown, stirring every 15-20 minutes.  Remove rosemary sprigs.

Final
Add roasted vegetables, peas (if you are using), chopped rosemary to stew.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Serve.  Garnish with chopped parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment