Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy mother's day, to all you moms out there, and happy mom memories to all.

Yesterday was a girl-power day.  Kirsty and I went to a fund raiser, for an organization one of my super special sister-in-laws works for.  She is really excited about it, and has me intrigued about it too.  She is another woman who inspires me.  The recipient is Daraja Academy in Kenya, Africa.  It's a secondary school for girls who would otherwise not be able to go to school.  This couple(on left in the picture) started the school about 3-4 years ago with 25 girls.  It's a boarding school, to ensure the girls are in a safe, healthy environment.  Enough said.  The scholars are selected from very poor areas, and move into the school for 4 years of high school.  Amazing kids, crazy situations are common, like no living parents, two siblings dead.  And yet these kids are driven and determined, and so many smiles and love.  Anyways, I was moved, and doubled my donation in my mind.

Girl Power
We are listening to the founders (couple on left), and Deborah Santana (Carlos's ex-wife- yellow shirt, in the picture above), all dynamos.  And they start the 'bidding' with the highest numbers first!  And instantly, I see Kirsty and her mom put up their paddles.  Boom.  Done.  Just like that.  Ten times more than where I was prepared to go to, even with the doubled donation amount a had in mind. 

That's girl power. 

I feel so lucky and fortunate Kirsty is my princess.  She has a huge heart, and is making a difference in this world.  Her and her mom in kind.  Her mom is a special person.  Not vocal, but loud in her actions.  Afterward, I said - you really inspired me, going for it, in the bidding.  And her mom matter-of-fact, says, well, a lot of times it's the women in these situations who get forgotten.  BAM.

My sister-in-law is taking her family to the school this summer.  They are in the midst of a huge regimen of immunizations, etc.  The family will be there for 2 weeks, and Julie will be there an extra week, I am guessing at Daraja Academy itself.  What a fantastic trip for all of them.  Incredible for the kids to see, and the adults as well.  We take so much for granted.


 Mom, nieces Kallie (top), Lauren (below), Sheila, my sis in Santa Fe

Mom
You inspire me too.  Mom is mom.  I know I take you for granted too.  Sometimes I don't have the patience.  I know, it's dumb.  Something I can work on.  You instilled in me, the importance of connectedness.  You are the one who made family so special, and tight.  Mom, in a nutshell, you let worry creep in for the trivial stuff, but are a rock, when the proverbial doo doo hits the fan.  Even now, still working as a school nurse at impacted elementary schools in Denver.  I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Tim, it was an honor to have you at the event. Honestly, posts like this and friends talking to friends is how we started the school. It is as grassroots as you can get, but with a lot of love, Daraja Academy and all 52 of our girls march on.

    Hope you and your family come and visit us as well. Like I said, I will get you at the Nairobi airport.

    Big Love,
    Jason Dohert

    ReplyDelete